About "Daily Planet & Sindy"

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

HOW I PREPARE FOR MY KIDS' BIRTHDAY(S)

Decide how are we going to celebrate
What I mean by decide how are we going to celebrate, is whether we are going to celebrate in with the family only, or by inviting people over.  Celebrate it at home, in the restaurant, or at school.  Indoor or outdoor.

Choose a date
Seems easy, but it's not sometimes.  It doesn't always have to be on the exact day with the kid(s) birthday, because we need to check on schedules, like are we all available on that date, or when celebrating at school, make sure that it's not the holiday yet.

Choose a theme
When your kid can choose a theme, you may ask him/her what he/she wants for his/her birthday theme.  Skyler started choosing for his birthday theme since last year, his 5th birthday, and it was Disney Cars (again. it was his birthday theme when he turned 3. lol!  So I made it more to Cars 3 movie theme.. 😁).
This will determine the decorations, and also the goodies.  Most of the time I will print most of the decorations for the dessert table, and have the DIY done.  I do the most from what I can, like browsing for pictures associated with the theme, and then I will edit it for invitations and also for decorations.  There are a lot of free printable alphabet or "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" banners online.  To minimize budget, just get creative 😉.

List down the invitees
When I decided to celebrate my kid(s) birthday by inviting people, I will list down the invitees first.  Maybe other Moms would do the budget listed down first, but it comes next for me, because it's not that possible to invite some while not inviting the others, especially when they are from the same circle of friends.
I would list down the name of each kids, and adults invitee with no kid(s), so I have the idea of how many goodies / hampers should I prepare.  So far I usually have 65-90 goodies to share, because we also distribute it at Sabbath School.

Goodies (goodie bags to distribute): to custom made or to have it DIY
I would think of what do I want for goodies to be distributed, will it be snacks only (DIY stickers for the package), snacks + stuff, stuff only, what stuff, and to buy it or to order (custom made).  If it is custom made, I need to order them way before the birthday.

List down the menus
Usually I would do this with the students who lives with us, who basically will be the "chef" who will execute the menus.  After listing down the menus, we would then list down the ingredients to each menus and write down the estimated budget.
For the birthday cake: whether to make it or to buy it.  How to make it or where to buy it.
Other snacks / cakes for the dessert table: what kind of snack(s), cake(s), to make it or to buy it.

What to wear
Think and decide on what will each of family member be using.  Do you have something to mix and match, or whether someone or everyone in the family should get something new, speaking of color-coded, dress code party.

Estimate how much I am willing to spend
To tell you the truth, I don't do budget.  I mean like I don't set a budget, instead, I will put in mind on how much I am willing to spend.  Like for goodies, how much money will I spend for it, and then I will calculate it by dividing it with the total goodies that I have to buy.  So it is with cake, how much am I willing to spend for the birthday / center cake.  Will I be having 1 or 2 cakes, will I be having cupcakes or other desserts for the dessert table.
With the menus, after listing down the estimated budget associated with the menus, then I can see the total of how much I will be spending, is it still affordable, is it not affordable, or that I still can add more menu or something else.  If then the total is something I am not willing to spend, then I would see which expense(s) that I can eliminate.

List down what to shop and where to shop
Why "what and where"? because I need to set a time to go shopping, and I don't only go to one place.
Like I need to list down the items I need to buy in the traditional market, and it has to be like several days before the birthday celebration day.  And for the birthday cake, I have to buy it or pick it up a day before.
Other stuff that I can buy way before, like decorations (balloons, papers, and so on), and other stuff purchased at the supermarket or from the cake ingredients shop.
Usually for this part, it would take me several days to complete my shopping, I can't do everything in 1-2 days, considering I am also a working Mom.
Looking for outfits also will take a lot of time, especially if you want something that matches the theme.


In between everything
I would make the birthday invitation myself, have it printed, cut it down, write the invitees, and will start distributing it a week before the day, so invitees can have time to look for gifts for those who are concern with giving gift(s).  We are really open with "envelopes", of course. Hahahaha.... 😂😜.  Have it listed on the invitation if you have a dress code.  Usually, I would type: "When / If possible, please wear something .........."

I would also browse on games that suits with the invitees (age & age gap), and with the location (indoor or outdoor).

Packing the goodies and putting on the "thank you" labels.  That is why if you want to have it custom made, make sure it is delivered to you max. 1 week before the day.

Contact those who will take part, like the MC, etc.

The day
Have people to help with the balloons, and tell them where to put them on.  I would start decorating a day or 2 days before, like for the banners and fringe decorations, but can't with the balloons.
Finish the decorations.

Cook something that is best consumed freshly cooked the last.  If you do rendang or something like that, you can make it a day before, store it in the fridge, have it re-heated on the day. That, you can save time.  It's good to have menus that you don't have to prepare / cook them all on the exact day.

Set the table.  Put the empty serving plates / chafing dish on the table, put as many as the menus, find the "right" positions for each.

Set the dessert / birthday cake table.  Position each with the "best" position.

Get ready.

Make sure your camera and phones are all charged, have someone to help with picture taking.  If it is your friend / not a professional photographer, it is better to let them know what are the things you want to be included in the pictures / what to capture, so that you won't regret later on that your pretty dessert table is not captured.

I think that's it for now, I hope I didn't forget anything to list 😆.

No comments: